Treatment of Dry Eye
Each patient is unique regarding treatment of his or her dry eye problems, often requiring a combination of treatment options below:
- Lubricant drops, gels and ointments to treat insufficient aqueous tear production.
- Omega-3 fish oil taken orally
- Punctal plugs
- Cyclosporine-A eye drops (Restasis ®), Xiidra®, and anti-inflammatory steroid eye drops
- Autologous serum eye drops
- Goggles or lid taping shut at night during sleep
- Mechanical expression (done in the office) of meibomian glands, hot compresses, eyelid cleaning and scrubs, antibiotic/steroid ointment to lids and lashes.
- Doxycycline oral antibiotics daily
- Warm/hot compresses and lid scrub/massage